Monday, May 23, 2011

History


There’s an empty space in my history
Where the textbooks seem to turn away
From a vacant place where the truth should be

From eastern countries, immigrants would flee
To escape their governments’ false ways
And find hope in a land that was said to be free
(There’s an empty space in my history)

Here, farmers fought an unfair hierarchy
And laborers struggled for better pay
And should-be citizens stood before juries
Whose hum of bias drowned out every plea
(In the vacant place where the truth should be)

Still, fairness would win out, and finally
Our laws could let those slighted have their say
Then bombs fell from the air and suddenly
They shattered feelings of security
And fell upon countless families’ dreams
To express their pride in being Japanese
(There’s an empty space in my history)

But our students often fail to see
Their classrooms brush past these events each day
Claiming that, simply
They’re just too busy
(To fill the place where the truth should be)
And I wonder, how could we
Try to fit so many
Into one single story?

There’s an empty space in my history
It’s a family album cast away
It’s a people who won’t ever be
Invisible or lost to me

Let words cover this place where the truth will be.


- Ellen Labitzke

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that Asians were having troubles becoming citizens, nor did I know about the problems with poor pay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that Asian-Americans faced such heated bias in the early US. I knew about Japanese internment in WWII, but I didn't know that there was any huge issue before then. History is written by the winner, there are empty spaces that we still need to fill in history. Thanks for the enlightenment Ellen!

    ReplyDelete